Min Ki Seul

108129177

Dr. Cathleen Rowley

WRT102.051

Dear Reader,

Welcome to my writing portfolio.  Enjoy. 

Throughout my writing 102 class, I believe that writing has helped me to grow as a writer, a reader, a researcher, and a critical thinker.  It helped me develop my standing in different issues such as that of genetic engineering, the pursuit of happiness, and the U.S. health care system as I illustrated in my essays respectively.  Being in writing not only helped me be able to support my ideas with evidence, but it helped me learn how to use sources from other reliable resources to convey my thesis.

I have fulfilled all of my requirements in writing 102 through the use of analytical debates and argumentative research.  In my essay on Francis Fukuyama's chapter on genetic engineering, I have included strong personal emotions backed up by Fukuyama's research which helped me develop a strong argument that was hard to rebuttal.  In Andre Dubus' "Fat Girl" I was able to invoke the reader's feelings using pathos to be able to make the reader relate and understand my point of the view on happiness.  Lastly, in my research on the U.S. health care system, I was able to support my thesis strongly with sources from all sorts of news organizations and databases that strengthened the body of the essay and with a counter-argument I was able to make my point of view stand out.

I believe that my research paper on the U.S. health care system was my strongest argument because of my background on health care and due to my major and my experiences in the paperwork aspects of health care system.  Not only that, for my first year seminar 102, I had the honor to be taught by a health care specialist / professor who taught me a lot about the issues and the different aspects of our system.  During my writing process, it was difficult to convey an ongoing national issue that was maybe a bit broad or too general for one person to cover, but I concentrated on the main issues that appealed to my standing in the research and illustrated the appropriate sources that the reader has to be aware of in order to judge this argument.

In writing 102, I have definitely become a better writer through the help of my professor and peers.  They helped me point out the faults of my arguments from the point of view of the readers and helped me transition from idea to idea with ease.  At certain sections I had trouble with the grammar due to the great deal of information I tried to present, so I learned to separate my ideas into smaller categories and in appropriate portions to easily state what I was trying to show the readers.