WRT 303 ePortfolios

WRT 303: The Personal Essay: The personal essay is a form that has recently come back into fashion. In this class we will engage the form by writing our own personal essays as well as reading and responding to the work of writers who have come to define the genre: examples include E. B. White, Langston Hughes, and Raymond Carver as well as more contemporary writers such as Joan Didion and Gene Shepherd. We will explore the differences between shaping experience as truth in a personal essay or memoir and as a work of fiction. As a definition of personal essay evolves, we will consider whether personal writing and essay writing (or 'essaying') have a place in academic writing.  Students in this class will also be able to prepare a personal statement for their application for graduate or professional school.

Larissa Britney Rios "I'm a student and veterinary technician all day, but a secret Disney princess/fanatic at night. Actually, I'm just a student and veterinary technician AND Disney fanatic." Only viewable within the Stony Brook University Community

Julie Lavalliere "Swimming has been a large part of my life. It has kept me sane throughout high school. I really miss it now in college." Only viewable within the Stony Brook University Community. Kristina Lucenko, Instructor.

Tazz Haque "I love learning history. Whether it's about countries, music, religion, or science, I try to absorb all the information I can. Learning more about my heritage as an Indian has even brought me closer to my parents, as can be seen in my essays for WRT 303." Only viewable within the Stony Brook University Community

Jim Davis "It's primary purpose [of Jim's ePortfolio] is to house his work for his WRT303/EGL388 class, but it also contains some of his favorite papers he has written for other classes, and some of his creative/personal work as well."

Tim Ferris- Tim is a senior completing his BA in English. His portfolio is full of well written and detail packed writing that not only draws the reader in, but keeps them wanting to read more. From wanting to be Indiana Jones to his first roommate, the imagery he uses is fun and interesting in every sentence.

Josefina Vergel "I am a senior biology major/premed at Stony Brook University.  I love going out for runs, hikes, and walks. I love animals, I have three pets: one dog -Angelina (beagle mix), one cat- Jasmine, one kitten- Tino. I am a proud vegetarian. I love to volunteer/ I've volunteered at: An orphanage in the Dominican Republic, a nursing home and rehab center, a senior living facility- worked with patients that have Alzheimer’s and dementia, Good Samaritan Hospital, and Pilgrim Psychiatric Hospital."

Michelle Jiang “I am just like you and everyone else on planet Earth who simply want to pursue our passion and dreams.” Cynthia Davidson, Instructor.

Terri Squires "I spent 10 years in the Navy as a photographer.  My assignments included photographing military ceremonies, public affairs events, broken parts, crashed jets, spousal abuse photos, crime scenes, and everything in between. Serving on a base with 10,000 sailors, anything is bound to happen, and it did!"

Sean Cavanagh "I am currently finishing up a Bachelors of Science degree in Psychology, with a concentration in Biology and Chemistry."

Sonali Bahl "In studying both the biological sciences and modes of communication, I look to develop into a professional with the ability to not only understand theoretical information, but also to practically apply the theory and convey the results with my peers." Dr. Shyam Sharma, Instructor. WRT 304.

Sayid Yasin “My generation belongs to the technology age. It is due to this that I have chosen Health Care Informatics as my concentration for my major. The healthcare industry is becoming increasingly computerized with online medical records and prescriptions, and different patient record systems. I hope to be a major contributor toward technology in our future healthcare industry." Dr. Shyam Sharma, Instructor. WRT 304.

Brandon Guan "Writing has been a creative outlet and refreshing break from the numbing programming I must do as a Computer Science major. I enjoyed all of my writing courses because of the creative freedom I was allowed, and the motivated professors." Thomas Tousey, Instructor.