“One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.” ― Simone de BeauvoirThe Second Sex

I chose this quote because it represents my favorite topic regarding women’s studies, gender.  In this quote, Beauvoir is rejecting the essentialist view that women are born having "feminine" characteristics and that men are born with "masculine" Characteristics.  In fact masculinity and femininity are social constructs.  This means that society has created what it means to be a woman.  Young girls are taught growing up that to be a woman means to be passive and serving to men and children.  Femininity suppresses women and keeps them subordinate to men.  

"Five facts about me"

My Name is Allison Bassoff, I am 22 years old  and  a senior at Stony Brook University.  I was born in Dallas Texas; however i grew up in Scarsdale New York in Westchester county.  I am a women and gender studies major.  I absolutely love my major because women’s studies encompasses all aspects of life.  Women’s studies is not just the study of women.  In order to understand women you must also learn about race, gender, politics, science, philosophy, and countless other subjects.  When i am not in the classroom or studying, I am very active on campus doing philanthropy projects with my national sorority.  My sorority and myself love to participate in local charities such as volunteering at church soup kitchens and participating in the polar plunge to raise money for the special Olympics.