My name is Angela Horstman. I am an undergraduate at Stony Brook University working towards a double major in Applied Mathematics and Statistics and Engineering Science with a specialization in Mechanical Engineering. I have always had a deep love of building things and learning how they work.

Early Life

My first experience with engineering was in my 5th grade. We learned more about the world and materials around us and how it all worked. This interested me to levels beyond my belief. That led me to my first experience with engineering by asking my father to help me safely design and build an AM/FM radio for our school science fair. At that age, that simple wiring and building of a wooden box with a speaker bought from Radio Shack just made me feel so accomplished.

High School

Since that day, I continued to love math and science and continued my journey into a field of engineering. In high school I joined my high schools Robotics team where I worked with my team mates to design, build, and cheer on our robot. One of the greatest days of my high school life, was during my senior year of Robotics.

College

When I entered college I finally got a chance to say I want to be an engineer, by declaring it my major! It was always in my blood, my father is a great electrical engineer, my brother is a computer software engineer, and my sister is a computer science major. But now I had the chance to say that I too am an engineer working towards a degree to prove it!