1. How would you describe your project to your friends and colleagues? How would you describe it to a future employer?

To my friends and colleagues, I would describe the project as a well-researched software programming experience in which the program developed was to provide indoor navigation and mobility to the visually impaired individuals. To my colleagues, I would say the same thing with emphasis on the navigation system.

2. What specific skills and knowledge did you learn from senior biodesign?

Much of the knowledge and skills applied in this project were from previous classes that I have taken. However, business plans, patentability, failure analysis, and market needs were some of the knowledge that I have learned from the senior biodesign class. Skills such as marketing the project have also been an important aspect in business application of the project. The other most important skill in senior biodesign is working with other people and knowing the step by step procedure in senior design and engineering.

3. How can you apply what you discovered and learned to other areas of your life?

From the senior biodesign class, the time and effort spent on working in senior design has given me much insight in communicating with my partners and developing a professional working ethics. I figured that no matter what differences in opinion and personalities, we would still have the same goal for the senior design project.  

4. What was your favorite aspect of your project?

My favorite aspect of this project was developing the software program in which the navigation system is based. It has given me much knowledge in how the software program developed can influence the actions of the robots and the adjustments it needs in order for the program to conform to the robots specifications.

5. What problems or challenges did you encounter? Did the challenges cause you to discover something new about your field of study? 

In my field of study, there are some challenges that my group and I have encounter along the way, but nothing we cannot solve. Some challenges were mostly design specific and others were group communications. These challenges have taught me how to cope with the problems and accept other’s input and opinions in regards to the alternative of the project design. Sometimes the challenges of the design can be time-consuming, but it is well worth it to learn how to solve the problem in order to get to the next step.

6. What would you do or change about your project if you could start over again?

If I could start all over again, I hope we have more time and resources to test different components of the project such as radio-frequency identification (RFID) for navigation purposes. Also I could have try different programming software such as C++ or Matlab for better user interfaces.

7. What would you like to learn further about your project if you had the time to continue to work on it?

If I had the time to continue working on this project, I would like to learn to remotely program the robot via wireless connections and establish a map route for the robot to independently move in an indoor setting. Also I would want to able to transfer to an upscale platform for the desired model of the project.