Jibril Ashiru-Balogun

Undergraduate Student

Biomedical Engineering

Biomechanics Track

Jibril is a senior in the Biomedical engineering department, with a minor in Mechanical Engineering. After a degree in Engineering Science he decided to further his education at Stony brook University, where he is gaining a vast amount of knowledge and experience.

Jibril’s experience lies mainly in Computational Biology, where has been working with the Rizzo Group on in silcio based drug design. His research is on protocol development for virtual screening of small molecules using the HIVgp 41 glycoprotein as a model.

He is also a member of the Biomedical Engineering Society. On his down time, he likes to volunteer with the Stony Brook Volunteer Ambulance Corps.  His hobbies include photography, travelling and fashion design.

Emily Hutton

Undergraduate Student

Biomedical Engineering 

Cellular and Molecular Track

I am a senior at Stony Brook University with a minor in Nanotechnology Studies. I have two years of research experience working with carbon nanomaterials in the lab of Dr. Balaji Sitharaman. I enjoy reading for pleasure and most outdoor activities. I plan to continue my education at the University of Rochester's BME PhD Program while serving as a Medical Service Corps Officer in the US Army Reserves.

Mohanlall Narine

Undergraduate Student

Biomedical Engineering 

Cellular & Molecular Track

Mohanlall is currently a senior at Stony Brook University where he is pursuing a bachelors of engineering in biomedical engineering. He hopes to one day become a pioneer in the field of genetic engineering and is well on his way to a good start. Mohanlall has recently joined Dr. Michael Hadjiargyrou's lab in the Center for Biotechnology at Stony Brook University. As a student researcher, he is currently investigating the Chibby gene and it's role in orthopedics, specifically on mice femora. After graduating, Mohanlall will be looking forward to continuing his studies as he will be attending graduate school in the near future. When he is not studying or working, Mohanlall likes to enjoy his time by watching comedies and playing his Xbox 360 gaming console (gamertag: Modizzle08).

Ada Tsoi

Undergraduate Student

Biomedical Engineering 

Biomechanics Track

A senior, Ada has been in the Biomedical Engineering major at Stony Brook University for the last 3 years. For this design project, she has been mainly responsible for coding and maintaining web-related media like basecamp and digication. She is also the secretary of the university chapter of Engineering World Health (EWH).

She is currently working in Dr. Clinton Rubin's Musculoskeletal Research Laboratory. Ada is observing the compensatory responses of bone and articular cartilage to increased loading through a diet-induced obesity model. Through microCT analysis of the bone, she has seen that the microarchitecture attempts to adapt, though it appears insufficient. Interestingly, these morphological changes are dependent on anatomical positioning as tibia and femur responses differed in cortical adaptation. Outside of the bone niche of the lab, she has been pursuing an independent interest in cartilage. Through histology, she seeks to determine whether poor diet or increased loading is the larger contributor to the tendency of osteoarthritis among the obese. Preliminarily looking at quality parameters of cartilage thickness and subchondral bone plate thickness (SBPT) at the knee, it appears as diet is the more relevant factor.

Beyond Senior Design, Ada is also an officer of Stony Brook chapters Tau Beta Pi, a national Engineering Honor Society, as the recording secretary and Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) as webmaster. After graduation, she is attending graduate school at Virginia Tech for Biomedical Engineering in Dr. Clay Gabler's lab. Outside school, Ada enjoys web designing, 3D puzzles (e.g. Rubik's Cubes), and watching movies.

Josh Hinkle

Undergraduate Student Biomedical Enginnering

Cellular and Molecular Track

I am a senior at Stony Brook University. I have spent the last four years immersed in studies, friends, sports, and travelling. Recently, I joined Michael Hadjiargyrou’s lab to pursue the role of the Chibby gene in skeletal development. I will apply this lab experience and knowledge to future graduate work, although I have not decided on a program. When I am not in the lab or doing school work I enjoy being outside (specially the beach), hanging out with friends, or anything to do with music.