Every summer starting from 2007, I have been volunteering at my local Bayside branch of the Queens Library. I work with a group of other teenage volunteers to help coordinate events for children with the librarians. On Mondays, I participate in Chess Club, in which my group, including a real teacher, help teach children basic skills in chess. It also serves as a place for children to enjoy a game of chess with their friends. On Thursdays, my group helps out with Arts and Crafts for children. For this activity, we help set up and clean up for the event and assist children designing their craft. Fridays involve reading books to children with ages ranging from 4 to 9 in the program Book Buddies. In this program, children have the opportunity for teens to read a book they choose. The goal is to show the benefits of reading and help them understand the English language better. Each summer I volunteer, there are always new faces along with the same kids which results in me interacting with a wide variety of children. This experience has taught me skills on how to deal with children if they ever need help in something. It gives me a sense of satisfaction because I am teaching them the skills they need to succeed in life.

In addition to helping out with the children's programs, I assist the librarians in shelving books and media. I may be tasked to put books back on the shelves or media back to their proper section. Also if an adult needs help in using a computer, I am there to guide them in whatever they need to be done on the computer. 

This past summer, summer 2014, I volunteered at the library again but this time I helped coordinate a science lab program for elementary school kids. This program is a series of small labs that exposes children to science through hands-on activiites. Such labs invovlve the creation of slime, examining the creation of a lava lamp, growing a Chia pet.