Why did you choose this book?  

I chose this book because the idea behind strengths appeals to me. I looked up book reviews for the text and it seemed to be received well by others. I am a strong proponent for the arguments for "playing to your strengths" and thus I was curious as to what others think about the issue. 

What was the most interesting aspect of the book?

The most interesting aspect of the book was definitely the analysis of the four different CEOs, Mervyn Davies, CEO of the national charter bank in particular. He stated, or rather wondered if others could, upon request list everyone they have ever influenced as a leader by name on a piece of paper. He theorized that anyone who could not may not actually be an authentic leader, and instead might just be a person who was in the right place at the right time. Mervyn Davies also interests me because of his traits as a leader. Mervyn is deemed as having most of his strengths in the Relationship domain, meaning that he is best at starting and fostering relationships between others. This is interesting because he is the CEO of a bank, which is an extremely analytical field, typically lacking or uninterested in relationships. Mervyn Davies's policy and practices of communication and almost "over communicating" led him to success in ways that no other CEO in the banking industry had reached. 

Would you recommend this book to others? Why or why not?

In my opinion, this book was a quick read, full of excellent use of comparison and supportive arguments. Years of Gallup studies and research put to use in a practical way. This book focuses on the impact of Strengths in the workplace and team environments. A good reference for a different leadership style explained with real life examples. Does not however, address the critical issue of weaknesses. I recommend this book as a foundation or introductory book for anyone new to the field of leadership, but would not have them only study this source. This book provides only one viewpoint, one small category within leadership, but does not discuss many other leadership theories, styles, and influences. It does however, contain a unique opinion and model for leadership, and thus I do believe anyone who practices leadership and/or is interested in developing their leadership abilities should read this book. 

How does or could this book relate to your personal leadership development?

This relates to my personal leadership development because it is a model for how I can potentially become successful in my own leadership development. It is certainly another style of leadership to consider. According to Gallup, and the 4 domains of strengths, I am an Executor. In fact, 4 out of my top 5 strengths lie within this domain. This means that perhaps I will be the next Wendy Kopp, which is certainly wishful thinking, and an interesting concept to muse over, might seriously be a reality I should and could consider.