Crystal Ling

Instructor: Margaret Kennedy 

WRT 102, Section 55

2 December 2012

Dear Portfolio Reader,

Throughout this semester, writing became a way of life. Whether I was writing business reports for Honors BUS 115 or writing papers of a variety of genres for WRT 102, my fingers always seemed to be glued to the keys of my laptop. Unfortunately, writing had always been a difficult skill for me to develop and master, but constantly constructing papers this semester has helped me grow immensely as a writer.

WRT 102 has especially played a significant role in this learning experience. The course challenged my analytical competence, my brainstorming skills, and my ability to merge the two and communicate them in well-developed and organized papers. The following portfolio showcases four individual works that I have written in WRT 102 over the course of the semester:

My Pop Culture Essay is a 5 page paper that explains the increasing trends in social media sites, specifically YouTube, as a source of entertainment. The paper is written for an older faculty member (or someone who is unfamiliar with YouTube), explicating how YouTube works, and explaining why it has become the phenomenon that it is today.

This Textual Analysis is a 5 page paper that analyzes "The Black Cat" by Edgar Allan Poe.  This thesis-based essay uses direct quotes from the text to explain the role perversity takes in the narrator's transformation from humane to murderous.

My argumentative Research Paper is a 5-6 page discussion on the effects of Inheritable Genetic Modification on individuals, relationships, and society as a whole. The paper uses multiple sources in conversation with each other, demonstrating my ability to quote a variety of sources effectively and compile a Works Cited page. 

The (In-Class Writing) Process Analysis is a piece that was constructed in class, explaining the steps in the process of adjusting to life as a college student.

Through these several prompts, I have learned how to write effectively, and with clarity. I hope that as I continue to thrive as a student, a writer, and an individual, I will learn to strengthen my personal voice and allow that to shine through in my writing. I know that by enhancing this skill, my writing will continue to blossom. After all, writing has been and always will be a universal way of expressing my opinions and communicating my thoughts. 

With that said, I hope you enjoy my portfolio of work and that you will continue to join me in my journey to becoming a more refined and sophisticated writer.

Sincerely,

Crystal Ling