MAR 340:  Environmental Problems and Solutions

Professor Anne McElroy & Professor J. Cochran

Aside from the typical topics that I have been consistently learning from environmental classes, one of the most important things, I believe, that was ever mentioned in this class is that the belief that people have that the majority of scientists do not have a consensus that global warming is real is false.  Truth is, 8 out of 10 scientists will tell you that global warming is a reality and according to data presented by the Statistical Assessment Service (STATS), the consensus exists.  (stats.org...

Now, why the discrepancy in public statements?  It's the media.

As I have learned in my POL 102 class, the media exists to challenge any topic, create heated debate, and raise opinions on certain subject matters.  Although this sounds great and is similar to what academic institutions attempt to teach students to do, it has its setbacks.

If the public is unknowledgeable about certain subject matters, such as the way government functions, the true facts of laws, and, in particular, the sciences behind global warming, the media can sway your opinion quite easily with their persuasive tone and embed their thoughts into yours as if they were your own.  All this without you having your own facts to generate your own opinion and base your own logic on.  Consequently, one would follow the media and believe what sounds "good".

Unfortunately, its this setback that gives others reason to believe that global warming isn't real.  As an audience, there are people basing their logic on the media without turning to the facts, the books, the statistics that all basically dictate that climate change is real and that its consequences are deadly.

Simply, we all must learn to generate our own opinions.  Don't just base your knowledge on what people tell you.  For instance, if you are to preach that global warming is nonsense, learn the science behind it; read the scientific journals and publications that exist on the topic, research on your own, and then make your conclusion.  Do not just base what you think on others opinions.  Learn to make your own and then take your stance, just as I have on this subject matter.