Exam Three:

The third exam for this course covered:

1. Waves
  2. Tides
  3. The Coastal Zone
  4. Plankton

Study Strategies and Corresponding Goals:

I still hadn't done as well on an exam for this class as I had hoped, so I set aside large blocks of time studying for this test. Instead of typing up notes on the chapter before class, I started highlighting the actual textbook. I also started re-reading the chapter after class. In the week before the exam, I spent most of my time studying the in-class PowerPoints.

Reflection:

I suppose there's always next time. While I am not necessarily disappointed with my grade, I am still determined to do better. I think the easiest way for me to improve my test scores in this class is to focus on the short response questions--I seem to always miss a point or two on every other question. For the next exam, I am going to incorporate practicing writing short paragraphs about difficult concepts into my studying.

Highs and Lows:

I love plankton. If my family happens to adopt a dog anytime in the near future and will let me name it, I'm going to call it 'Copepod' (pronounced koh-puh-pod). I had a little bit of previous knowledge for the lecture on plankton from hearing my parents talk about their oyster farm and red tide, and participating in SEA's Science at Sea program last summer (a description and pictures of the program can be found here: stonybrook.digication.com... while even more pictures can be found here: stonybrook.digication.com I had a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around some of the concepts presented in the tides and waves lectures, but I managed to perservere. Overall, I enjoyed this section very much.