Exam Two:

The second exam for this course covered:

1. Marine Sediments
  2. Properties of Water
  3. Atmospheric and Oceanic Circulation

Study Strategies and Corresponding Goals:

After falling short of my goal for my last test, I was determined to excel. I set aside a week to study and spent most of my time reading the book, highlighting my notes, and glancing through the PowerPoints.

Reflection:
While I did do a little better on the second exam, I'm still not satisfied. For the next exam, I'm planning on spending more time studying the PowerPoints and my in-class notes, re-reading the chapters after class, and spending more time per day studying the week before the exam.

Highs and Lows:

The first thing that comes to mind as I look back on this section is how much I loved the vocabulary I learned--phrases such as 'siliceous and calcareous ooze', 'coccolithophores' and 'foraminifera'. My favorite lecture was definitely about marine sediments; the four different categories they fall into, what they compose of, where and in what quantities they're found, their terrestrial and aquatic uses, and why they're studied. I was also very pleased to find that I had a nice amount of previous knowledge when my oceanography class covered water properties due to the chapter about molecular polarity that my chemistry class had already covered. While I did struggle with atmospheric and oceanic circulation, I still found the topic fascinating. Overall, I found this section in my oceanography class to be highly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to my next classes.