Exam Two:

The second exam for this course covered:

1. Chemical Reactions, Reaction Mechanisms, and Rates
  2. Catalysts
  3. Acids and Bases (acid and base strength, equilibrium, and ionization)

Study Strategies and Corresponding Goals:

As is usual, I hoped to earn a better grade on the second exam than I did on the first. I started studying a week ahead of the exam, outlined some of the finer points that I hadn't written down, highlighted my personal and class notes, and made several flashcards.

Reflection:

Unfortunately, I ended up with about the same grade. Most of the problems I missed were either due to silly mistakes or simply not reading the problem correctly. However, I was fairly sick during the exam so I'm happy enough that I managed to do well. For my next exam, I am planning on setting aside the same amount of time for studying, but spending more time making new flashcards and not as much time highlighting.

Highs and Lows:

I have to admit that in my sophomore year of high school, I thought catalysts were the one of the coolest things in my AP Biology textbook. I actually enjoyed this unit and didn't mind studying for the upcoming exam. I did struggle with acids and bases and still have to stop and carefully think about what a drop or rise in pH actually means in regards to hydronium and hydroxide concentrations, acidity, etc.