Exam Four:

The fourth exam for this course covered:

1. Nekton
  2. Benthic and Coral Reef Communities
  3. Deep Sea Life

Vampire Squid

Study Strategies and Corresponding Goals:

I took more notes during class, kept highlighting my book, and almost always ensured I had a good handle on any topics I found difficult within a day of the lecture. I ended up studying a little late for the exam, but I definitely studied more effectively for this exam than all of the others. I printed out the incomplete class PowerPoints and tried to fill in the blanks with the correct answers, and re-read the chapters.

Reflection:

I was fairly content with the grade I received. I will definitely model my studying for my upcoming final exam after how I studied for this exam.

Highs and Lows:

I found this section fascinating. One of my favorite deep sea creatures we discussed was the pacific barrel eye fish (displayed below). What appears to be its eyes are actually its nostrils--the eyes are the green barrels in the middle of its clear head which is, conveniently, emitting bioluminescence. The fish was recently filmed for the first time by the Monterrey Bay Aquarium Research Institute. I also really enjoyed the lectures on coral reefs--I had no idea how much activity takes place in a reef. Even the corals themselves take place in 'coral warfare', namely, using the mesenterial filaments they produce in their stomachs to kill and devour other coral polyps.