Port Discovery Seafarms                                    

Port Discovery Seafarms is my parents' shellfish farm in

Discovery Bay, WA. My dad likes to say that he decided to build the farm when he looked out into the ocean and thought to himself that "there has to be something out there that I can do". However, he also likes to say his oysters are farmed by people "so humble that they are often mistaken for monks" (the reader should note here that Port Discovery Seafarms' employee list usually begins and ends with my parents' names). When I was very young, the farm was devastated by a mud slide but my parents managed to overcome disaster and the farm still stands.

I started off working for my parents by picking starfish and moon snails off the beach, moved to cutting up blue mesh bags when I was old enough to be trusted with a knife, and eventually began caring for, sorting, and harvesting oysters, mussels, and clams.

The time I spent at Port Discovery Seafarms has become the foundation for my work ethic in other job fields. I learned to stay on task despite being tired, bored, or sick; I learned to completely fill up the time in my punch-card; and I learned the value of keeping a happy demeanor at all times.