I entered the LEAD program the spring of my freshman year and that experience introduced me to so many people from all across campus.  I gained more of sense of myself as a person and what I really believe in.  (My leadership style is an Activator)

My mentor had guided through a lot and prompted me to really think about life after Stony Brook and if the major I was in was really the best choice for what I wanted to accomplish.  I ended up switching out of the BME program and into ESG because of this, and realized that I never would have given much thought to what I would do with a degree unless I had someone who cared about me and my future that much prompt me to really think about it.

I didn't really notice how much I had gained until after completing the GOLD program in the following fall.  By then, most of us in the program had gotten to know each other and what activities we were involved in and knew that everyone there would support us if we ever needed it.  There was just the feeling of self confidence between all of us and the understanding that we all do things differently and that we all need those different strengths and ideas to accomplish anything to make this a better place.

The greatest feeling was probably when I presented at the commencement ceremony.  We were all asked to make a presentation about our experience in the program and about our time with our mentors.  Two of us in the program were then chosen to present.  I was a bit nervous talking in front of our very distinguished guests at the event (including the Dean), but that disappeared quickly as I began talking about the great moments made available to me over the past year.