Long Term Goals

1. I want to own a house, one I can make into my vision of how a house should be.
  2. I want to be gainfully employed, either in marketing or operations and management, in the automotive industry.

In order to afford a house in the future I am saving for it now. I am actively working to achieve and maintain a good credit score in order to get a loan to purchase my home. I am working 40 hour weeks to not only save some money on the side, but create a significant savings that will allow me to achieve this goal.

In order to be gainfully employed in the career and field of my choice I am dedicating myself to my studies today. I am working hard in school to make my vision of working in this field a reality. I will try to make connections and network with people in order to get my foot in the door somewhere within a desirable company, even if it’s not exactly what I want to be doing. I can always work my way up to the job I am dreaming of and I will remain focused on working hard until I get there, and on not letting up once I get there.

Short Term Goals

1. Achieve a minimum of a 3.8 gpa during my undergraduate career at Stony Brook.
  2. Get an internship for the coming summer.

In order to achieve and maintain a 3.8 gpa for my undergraduate career I will have to remain very diligent in my studies. I will have to work hard and study to see this goal become reality. It will not be easy, but having a goal in place provides me with the motivation I need to excel when I am ready to quit.

For me to get a desirable internship for the coming summer I will have to work now to seek out opportunities for any internships. I will have to network and make connections in the Career center that will help me in my search for this internship.

Setting a goal is very important for a leader. Goals serve as points of reference for reflection in that they allow a leader to review the reasons for which they either failed to meet or met their goals. For leaders goals are important in development because they lay out the conditions for success clearly and if those are not met reflection will follow as to why.