Model the Way

Question #

1

6

11

16

21

26

Total

Score

4.25

4.5

4.75

3.5

4.5

3

24.5

Inspire a Shared Vision

Question #

2

7

12

17

22

27

Total

Score

4.25

4

4

3.5

4.75

4

24.5

Challenge the Process

Question #

3

8

13

18

23

28

Total

Score

4.75

3.5

3.25

3.75

4

4

23.25

Enable Others to Act

Question #

4

9

14

19

24

29

Total

Score

5

4.75

5

4.25

4.5

4

27.5

Encourage the Heart

Question #

5

10

15

20

25

30

Total

Score

4.25

4.5

4.25

4

3.75

4

24.75

These scores reflect my ability to perform in each of the described areas; Model the Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable Others to Act and Encourage the Heart. These areas each focus on a particular aspect of leadership. My strongest, best developed area is Enabling Others to Act. This surprised me as prior to completing the SLPI I felt that I did not give people the opportunity or chance they needed to excel during collaborative efforts. I have found through my peers and mentor that generally I actual am very fair in encouraging the collaboration of group members when working in teams. My weakest are, or area in need of the most improvement, is Challenging the Process. I had already known this about myself prior to taking the SLPI; I am not one to go against the flow. Both my peers and my mentor were in agreement with my assessment of a low score in this category. Moving forward I will look for ways to improve my abilities as a leader through challenging the process in a way that is positive and benefits my team during group work.

In my self-assessment I was very critical of my attributes as related to the question at hand. As such I scored lower on my personal SLPI than I did on wither my mentor or my peer review. This does not surprise me as I am often hard on self when evaluating because I hold myself to a very high standard.

Throughout the semester I will take the information I have gathered from the SLPI in order to improve my abilities as a leader. I will actively seek to work on my areas of weakness, such as speaking my mind when I disagree on something. An example would be my general tendency to just agree with statements made in groups if it is a majority, I could work on this by speaking up for my opinions and providing a different view to my group members instead of keeping it to myself.  By actively applying the knowledge I have learned from the SLPI I can work on my weaker areas in order to become a better overall leader.