At the end of the Summer of 2012, I volunteered to be an International Student Ambassador. Our job was as fun as our fancy job title. What we basically had to do was help the incoming international students get accustomed to the college life at Stony Brook and the United States in general. Being international students ourselves, we know the kindof challenges we faced when we first came here, the sort of questions that ran through our minds and our job was to help these international students feel at ease with those sort of issues.

From holding workshops to simply hanging out and playing games with them, we tried our best to make their transition from wherever they are to Stony Brook, a smooth one. In the process I worked with and met a number of amazing people from all over the world, I met people from Turkey, Spain, France to China, Korea, and even some people from my own hometown back in India.

Our job was to be a mentor to someone who is completely new to this country and education system. We held a number of workshops for them, from talking about how to get a job, what kind of classes to take, from where to print stuff, to even where can they get their laundry done and find places to eat around here.

All in all, it was 1 week of having fun with people from all around the world and guiding them into an easy transition to Stony Brook. If time permits, I would definitely like to do it again the summer after.