It was raining heavily one day. After the rain stopped and I went outside, I saw a fish in a pool of water that had gathered where cement was scooped out. I wondered how it got there. Maybe it confused the heavy rain with the fall it used to climb. I imagined the fish ascending towards the sky, climbing among the rainfall and randomly landing there. I don’t know a lot about music but I tend to enjoy anything that is in the form of music, just like this fish climbs up any water that has the similar water force as a fall. I landed in a pool of music called the Westminster choir club.

We learned how to sing in a way vocalists sing. Professional vocalists came and taught us how to ‘use our body like an instrument.' The most best was when I had private lessons. Just a day before the joining ceremony, the vocalist told me that I should use my stomach when I sing. My voice became louder and clearer.

When all the 40 members perform, each member seems to be ‘trivial.' No one would know even when one of the 40 members stop singing during the performances. However, no one in our club seems to feel this way. We all have different voices. Sometimes it’s hard to gather our opinions. This is why the club isn’t always peaceful. However, we try to care for each other and enjoy the moments that we are together. We do not only sing together. We spend a lot of time together doing many things. We are all special and important to each other. I am not afraid of accidentally singing off-pitch on the stage because all the other voices will cover my mistake. This is how beautiful harmony is made.

I'm not a professional in musician. I just love listening to music and seeing pleasure of the people listening to my songs. All I do is to follow my heart. But my parents do not like the idea of me joining this choir club because sometimes I spend too much time in things related with this club. They think that the 'water pool' I landed in was too small. Most of the time I sing, practice and talk with my club members. So they recommended to me to apply for being an exchange student to broaden my perspective, and look at what's happening outside the club. I also wanted to experience something different, too. So I came here to Stony Brook. It surely is a different place. There are people from all over the world. But while I ventured outside of my 'small pool of music', and am now experiencing this big difference, I realized that all the things that were forming this big difference were small differences - personality, life style, ideas, clothing, etc. The small differences are what I already experienced in the Westminster choir club- different tones, voices and singing style, and again, personality, life style, ideas, clothing, etc.