My name is Jason Lai, and I am an Undergraduate student at Stony Brook University. My current field of study is Engineering Science with specializations in Civil and Environmental engineering. I am pursuing a career in structural engineering because I find skyscrapers and bridges absolutely amazing, and one of my dreams is to design one in a major city.

I am graduating with a BE in Engineering Science which means my core classes focus around materials science, and not structural engineering. I am taking and plan to take many technical electives towards the structural field so I can graduate with a diverse background in both fields.

My most recent work experience was a summer teaching job at Nationwide Master Learning Center in Manhattan where I was assigned to teach math and english to a class of twelve 4th graders four hours a day. Approximately two to three times a week, I was asked to substitute for multiple SHSAT and SAT preparation classes. From this job, I learned a lot about myself in terms of how I like to convey my ideas, and I also became more comfortable speaking in front of crowds.

I am the founding President of the Long Island Water Environment Association, LIWEA, which is a student chapter of the professional organization, the New York Water Environment Association. Just this past November, we became a recognized organization on campus, and have many plans for the upcoming semeseter. 

In my free time, there is nothing more I like to do than to play basketball. I love to watch and even more so to play. I was on my varsity high school team, and I am currently on a team in my neighborhood. I hate being indoors, and am not afraid to try new things. If eating is considered a hobby, then I would like to mention it here because I can't get enough of it.