The bureaucratic mess due to many different agencies working on the Hurricane Protection Systems illustrates the importance of communication both within and between organizations. My main takeaway from this lecture is that while natural disasters cannot be stopped, their devastation can be mitigated with proper communication between involved parties.

With this in mind, as an engineer, I will take measures to make sure I communicate my work properly with those involved. This is especially important because modern aircraft are complex pieces of machinery and requires coordination between the many involved to strike the right balance. All engineers should remember than engineering is inherently interdisciplinary.

During natural disasters, I would personally also be careful with dangerous assumptions such as assuming that I can ride out the storm. More generally, it would help to be adequately prepared with a existing stock of food and water rather than make last minute rushes to stock up.

If I were to ever live in a hurricane or tornado prone area, I would prefer to live in an ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) home. The below picture is of an ICF home that was still under consstruction when Hurricane Katrina hit. It's structure has survived while surrounding homes were leveled.