Reflection

In my Digital Story, I wanted to take a more general approach to interacting with the environment. Where my essay about a place focused on how I changed personally at Jones Beach, and my Final Project Essay explored the relationships developed between two people (specifically, brothers) in a place, my Digital Story was designed to engage viewers more directly; making them think about what runs through their head either consciously or unconsciously as they prepare to enter or interact with a new area. This was supposed to be an emotional reach with a couple dashes of humor, progressing through the major environments on Earth, and ultimately ending with a push to go out and explore.

Braintornado-ing about the Digital Story

I haven’t developed a complete script as of yet for my project (I’ll be kicking around some ideas for pieces to use as springs to develop the digital story this week) but I was thinking, after I see what photos I have at home (and looking around creative commons a little more) I would do a digital movie that would cover much of the story I told (and some parts I didn’t tell) about my childhood experiences at Jones Beach.

If I were to go by this idea, I think I’d begin by talking about my first time going to the beach (the whole scene of my moving from the blacktop, to sand for the first time, to the cabana rows, along the plank path, and eventually to the shore), and follow up with stories being told by my Uncle Renny, and getting washed ashore for the first time. I’ll utilize (perhaps!) a brief clip of rushing seawater, and then a view of the sky from someone laying on their back at the shoreline.

I’m going to continue developing a plot skeleton and collecting images from creative commons. I've been developing a compilation of photos, and will begin uploading them soon. I have a video of a sunset at a beach (location i've forgotten at the moment) that was uploaded to our Virtual High School Oceanography page by Professor George Hardison (I'll email him to see if he'll let me use it).

As with before, please comment or post something if you have any flashes of insights on something else I could use!