This is a picture of me at camp!

Assignment: Write a this I believe essay

Finding True Appreciation

As a child, going to camp proved to be educational for me in ways I could never have imagined!  I recall the first day I left for camp vividly. Somehow the sun shined brighter for me that day. This was the day I was finally going to leave my annoying family. My dad being at the top of my list! I was so enchanted and bewitched by the beauties of nature surrounding me. I even made a couple of friends.  After a couple days, the magic of camp grew dim and my thoughts turned homeward bound. My Dad, still annoying me in my mind, automatically turned my attention to my stomach and my supportive mom who makes great homemade meals; my favorite being mac and cheese. And my cute little kitties, I asked myself: How could I have left all of you? Will you remember me when I return? I even missed the softness of my own bed.  And finally, I even missed my brother!

After what I first envisioned to be a delightful experience at camp, turned out to be two weeks of strenuous activities and finally it was over! Playing games all day under the hot sun can have a toll on you. I was left sunburnt and tired. I loved learning how to kayak but after a while it became gruesome as my arms started to hurt from paddling so much. As the last day approached, I could not wait to go home! I suddenly realized that going into camp, my eyes were shut and now as I was leaving for home, and my eyes were opened as I saw how good I had it at home. I realized how lucky I was to have my mom’s cooking, my own bed inside an actual house with no bugs and all my loving cats.

Today I like to think that I am more tolerant and loving towards my family. After all, I buy them nice gifts for special occasions; but, do I truly appreciate them?  I don’t know.  Perhaps by the end of my college years I will be able to appreciate the sacrifices my parents tell me they are making sending me to college. I realize that for now, I’m more concerned with getting through college, studying all the time to get good grades, than I am for feeling the true appreciation towards my parents.  I know that I am a good person and as time goes by I will experience growth and maturity in life. When this happens, I will seek and discover ways of showing true appreciation to those I love.