During my journey through the internship from DoIT's Department of Teaching, Learning, Technology as documented in my blog, Technological Inspirations, I had to chose between two primary and distinct types of senior consultants. The two options are Site Managers or Help Desk (a.k.a Student Technologists). The nature of a Student Technologist attracted me a lot more than Site Managers because I wanted to be able to help every student who needs help and not just manage the consultants and the SINC Sites. 

I wanted to teach workshops to help students understand the plethora of services the Division of Information Technology (DoIT) has to offer. I wanted to help students enhance their learning environment by incorportating technology into their courses. I feel that what you don't know will hurt you. There are so many ways to make a student's life easier if they take the time to learn some basic steps with various programs. It keeps the mind young when you're curious and that is what keeps me wanting to learn a little bit about a lot. 

I also want to be able to help students with various problems they might be having. It can range from a simple "I do not know my log in to Blackboard" to "There's an error with Virtual SINC Site and it says ---". Whether the issue is simple or hard, I want to be able to help them ease their minds and let the students (and sometimes faculty/staff) know that there is someone that will help them and solve their problems as soon as they can. 

This opportunity lead me to work on many things that I thought I would have never done. I am blogging for the TLT Insider, a TLT Consultant driven blog to let students know what is going on in TLT. The information is straight from a senior consultant and it's basically students talking to students. I also had to opportunity to work with the staff of Teaching Learning Lab and E-Portfolio. I created a new workshop addressing an issue with a new service the university is providing and students submitting assignments called Completing VoiceThread Assignments on Blackboard. I also shadowed an amazing E-Portfolio consultant as she taught various WRT102 sections on how to use E-Portfolio and the perks of it which opened new doors for me to teach another workshop, Kick-off your E-Portoflio. It is a public version of the in-class workshops. Students who miss the in-class workshops or missed a few steps during the in-class workshop can attend these public ones at specific times. 

This position has taught me a lot about customer service and the importance of it. I developed a professional telephone speaking voice and a neutral way of addressing difficult students/faculty members.