Welcome!

Upon starting my college career, my plan was vague. Actually, it was nearly non-existent; I just knew my strengths and my weaknesses, and what I was good at. However I knew I wanted to design in one way or another. I wanted to make things. I wanted to build things. Goodness knows I was fantastic at taking things apart (and occasionally breaking said things) as a kid, but I did so to put them back together. I still do it. When it comes to making a makeshift…anything, I jump at the opportunity like a starved wolf.

I worked with these hunches and chose to be an industrial design major in my high school. Lo and behold, it was exactly what the doctor prescribed. I started feeling in my element, and after some research into the field and advice from few great teachers, I understood. I wanted to explore industrial design. Nothing has changed since then in terms of my ultimate goal. Only my path has become a bit less direct.

I figured I could go to the source of my passion and perhaps learn the science behind it. That is how I chose my Mechanical Engineering path. Actually to be honest, I was scared away by the existing Industrial design degrees that I considered pursuing. I was afraid that studying art in that sense wouldn’t provide a path to a sustainable career. It also seemed too good to be true. To study something I truly enjoy, throughout my whole college career? No, that can’t be, it can’t end well. Being raised by Russian parents who are by nature pessimists, I now understand why that reasoning had such a place to be in my head.

And so here I am today. I am studying to be an engineer and I am glad to be doing so. I really am learning the science behind designing, the foundation to my passion; the possibilities, the limitations, and the beauty of structure. (Actually it’s not all that colorful of a curriculum to be honest, but I really am learning heaploads). I am getting to the true core of design, and I am understanding more and more the thought process that should take place when one wants to create something and have it solve a problem. Only engineers sometimes don't solve the problem in the most elegant, which is where the designers usually step in...but I want to be both.  

I will engineer with elegance in mind.

I will design with structure and feasability in mind.

On that note, I hope you enjoy this portfolio!