Flipped Classroom Resources
Download - 7 Things You Should Know About Flipped Classrooms from Educause
View Penn State's Simply Speaking video on Flipping the Classroom. Listen to the presenter's challenges. He starts out negative, but realistic. So, how do you meet the challenges he presents? What are the benefits of flipping your classroom? How would you personalize your flipped classroom for? He presents technology as the answer. Do you always need technology to flip a classroom?
View Sal Kahn's Future of Learning.
Continue on with Eutopia's Five-Minute Film Festival: Flipped Classrooms
With a team (3-4 members per group) try Nancy Wozniak's exercise on Map The Concept of Flipped Classrooms.
Post your challenges, solutions, and insights in the Comments and Tags area. Add resources. Click Show Comments and Tags at the bottom right of the page.
More information at
Robert Talbert's Resources for the inverted classroom
Compiled by Robert Talbert - firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Talbert's Blog - http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/castingoutnines
A web-based form of this handout with clickable links can be found at https://github.com/RobertTalbert/invertedclassroomin the file Inverted Classroom resource list.md. This list will continue to evolve and expand as others contribute to it, so check back often. To submit an item, email it to me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMO the top five items from this list for those just learning about the inverted classroom, or those who know a little and want to go deeper, are:
- The flipped classroom in 60 seconds (1:16)
- Because it's short, sweet, and correct.
- Lage, M., Platt G., and Treglia M. (2000). Inverting the classroom: A gateway to creating an inclusive learning environment. Journal of Economic Education, 31 (1): 30–43. http://www.jstor.org/pss/1183338
- This is the original research paper that coined the term "inverted classroom" and that first investigated the inverted classroom at the university level.
- What is the flipped classroom? (University of Texas)
- Short PDF that contains a lot of basic information about the inverted classroom for newbies.
- Flipped Learning Network definition of "flipped learning"
- A more recent item that shifts from the flipped classroom to flipped learning and draws a distinction between the two. Provides an operational definition of flipped learning useful as a rubric and course design guide.
- The inverted calculus course: Using Guided Practice to build self-regulation
- Blog post from Casting Out Nines on Guided Practice, a model for maximizing students' pre-class experience in an inverted classroom setting.
- Bates, S. and R. Galloway (2012). The inverted classroom in a large enrollment introductory physics course: A case study. The Higher Education Academy.
- Gannod, G., J. Burge, and M. Helmick (2008). Using the inverted classroom to teach software engineering. Proceedings of the 30th international conference on Software engineering, Leipzig, Germany, Association for Computing Machinery, 777–786.
- Lage, M., Platt G., and Treglia M. (2000). Inverting the classroom: A gateway to creating an inclusive learning environment. Journal of Economic Education, 31 (1): 30–43.
- McGivney-Burelle, J. and F. Xue (2013). Flipping calculus. PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies, 23(5):477–486, DOI: 10.1080/10511970.2012.757571
- Moravec, Marin, Adrienne Williams, Nancy Aguilar-roca, and Diane K O Dowd (2010). Learn before Lecture: A Strategy That Improves Learning Outcomes in a Large Introductory Biology Class. CBE – Life Sciences Education 9: 473- 481. doi:10.1187/cbe.10.
- Strayer, J. (2007). Ph.D. dissertation, The Ohio State University.
- Talbert, R. (2012). Inverted classroom. Colleagues: Vol. 9: Iss. 1, Article 7.
- Talbert, R. (2013). Inverting the linear algebra classroom. Inverting the linear algebra classroom. PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies, 24:5, 361-374, DOI: 10.1080/10511970.2014.883457
- Talbert, R. (2013) Learning MATLAB in the inverted classroom. Computers in Education Journal, 23(2):50–60.
- Talbert, R. (2014) The inverted classroom in introductory calculus: Best practices and potential benefits for the preparation of engineers. To appear in Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education 2014 Annual Conference.
- Warter-Perez and J. Dong (2012). Flipping the classroom: How to embed inquiry and design projects into a digital engineering lecture. Paper presented at ASEE PSW Section Conference, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
- Casting Out Nines (R. Talbert)
- Flipped Learning Network
- The FlipSide podcast (Jon Bergmann)
- My Flipped Classroom
- Materials for inverted Calculus course at GVSU (MTH 201)
- Materials for inverted transition-to-proof SWS course at GVSU (MTH 210)
- Jon Bergmann has a huge list of articles and blog posts about flipped learning here:http://jonbergmann.com/newsroom/articles-blogs-about-flipped-learning/
- Posts by other authors besides Talbert
- CO9's series on the inverted calculus (MTH 201) course
- CO9's "Flipped learning skepticism" series
- Other Casting Out Nines posts
- Four things I wish I'd known about the flipped classroom (5 June 2014)
- Creating learning objectives, flipped classroom style (5 March 2014)
- The biggest lesson from the flipped classroom may not be about math (7 October 2013)
- What's different about the inverted classroom? (6 August 2013)
- The inverted classroom as a platform
- Confessions of a converted lecturer (Eric Mazur)Four things I wish I'd known about the flipped classroom (http://vimeo.com/96653950)
- Flipped Learning Network operational definition of "flipped learning"
- What is the flipped classroom? (University of Texas)
- 7 things you should know about the flipped classroom (PDF, Educause)