Welcome Email sent the week before class begins.
Getting Ready for our First Class
- Look over the activity folders for Week One and Week Two in the Assignment content area of our Blackboard course site. Also, review the ePortfolio and Personal Branding folder. The sooner you get started, the better.
- Come to class with 5 facts about you. The 5 facts should cover various areas of your life. We'll use our 5 facts to introduce ourselves. The facts will go into your ePortfolio. Here are some examples
- Michael Matza - https://stonybrook.digication.com/michael_matza/About_Me
- Brandon Lee - https://stonybrook.digication.com/brandon_loo/About_Me
- Vishwaja Muppa = https://stonybrook.digication.com/crystal_ling/About_Me1
- Emily Madsen - https://stonybrook.digication.com/emily_madsen/About_Me
- Robert Presser - https://stonybrook.digication.com/robert_presser/About_Me
- Crystal Ling - https://stonybrook.digication.com/crystal_ling/About_Me1
First Day Email (Prior to Class)
Hope everyone stayed safe and warm during Juno. What a way to kickoff Spring Semester 2015. If you were out in the snow, bring pictures to class. Did you know the Weather Channel was broadcasting from SBU West Campus?
We have our first class today in Harriman Hall, Room 304, College of Business Conference Room. Harriman is next to Frey Hall. Dr. London, Pan, and I are looking forward to meeting all of you. Bring your 5 Facts today. (5 statements about you) I sent you all examples in my last email on Saturday. One of my favorites is Vish Muppa's facts https://stonybrook.digication.com/vishwaja_muppa/About_Me. You come to know her through her image logo and 5 simple statements. Michelle Nevins put her 5 Facts into storyboard format. https://stonybrook.digication.com/michelle_nevins1/About_Me .
Also, take the very, very simple Syllabus Quiz before you come to class. It will take you 10 minutes. Find your assignments for Weeks One and Two in the Assignments content area listed on the menu in our Blackboard Course site.
See you later this afternoon.
Dr. London and Pan Xie
FYI (found in Course Rubris and Assignment List)
Is this you?
I know I’m capable of performing job. I’m an expert on a topic and in my professional field. I have a lot to offer. Nobody knows it, but me. Or, maybe you don’t see your professional self. Well, after this class, you will.
Ways to get the professional you recognize are to
(1) create and establish your professional brand;
(2) create and maintain a Holistic Electronic Portfolio (projects the whole professional self - work experience, service (volunteerism), academics (lifelong learning), life achievements, interests, reflection);
(3) create and maintain a LinkedIn profile with work experience, service (volunteerism, academics (lifelong learning), achievements, interests, professional memberships, microblogging in Pulse and groups;
(4) maintaining a professional blog (WordPress, Blogger);
(5) microblogging with Twitter, Tubmlr, Professional Facebook account, and other microblog tools.
These are the opportunities this class will provide for you to achieve and promote your professional online identity. Build your network. The sooner you start, the better.