Nancy McCoy Wozniak

http://liftinglearning.com/professional-capsule

As an Instructional Designer and Business Instructor, I am an active member of the global teaching and learning community. I collaborate with faculty on student-centered course design and dynamic learning environments. My recent projects include the successful implementation of integrative learning and career portfolios and flipped classroom maker design. My active involvement in the AAEEBL community has contributed to the success of these projects. With over 15 years of instructional design and teaching experience in higher education, my expertise includes building self-determined, lifelong learning behaviors using portfolios and reflective media; the student-centered design of online and traditional courses focused on peer mentoring and assessment; and proactive classroom management strategies that utilize multimodal media and social pedagogy designs. Student success is key and I help design physical and virtual learning environments that facilitate peer to peer instruction and communities of learning. My current research interest involves exploring the value and benefits of portfolios to students, faculty, staff, and employers. Simply put, I'm a creative dynamo with a passion for education. My success comes from helping others find their success. I believe we all have the capacity to "Change the World" and my calling is to clear the pathways.

Currently, I am a Senior Instructional Consultant in the Learning Technologies Consultation Group for the College of Language, Science, and Arts College. Formerly, I was the Learning Architect (Sr. Instructional Designer) and ePortfolio Program Manager at Stony Brook University.  Both of these positions embrace innovative, creative teaching and learning strategies designed and implemented through collaboration and teamwork. Because of my prior experience in broadcast and cable television production, I believe, strongly, in working with project teams.  The evening news does not air without the combines efforts of every member of the production team; and, the implementation learning experiences with instructional technologies will fail without the united efforts of all.  It takes a village to assure the holistic success of the student.  A project management success at Stony Brook and SUNY (State University of New York) has been to coordinate project teams consisting of faculty, academic and technical support staff, student affairs staff, librarians, administrators, industry experts, along with the end users (students) on the campus-wide implementation of portfolios and badges for integrative learning and professional use.  Building a strong support team that embraces integrative, lifelong learning and holistic student success is vital.   Stony Brook is a global leader in documenting learning outcomes and professional competencies through portfolio use and multimodal media reflective activities.  I’m often asked why the Stony Brook Student-Driven Portfolio Model is successful.  Why?  Because, weaved throughout the model are layers of peer to peer support and feedback.  By collaborative input and design, the initiative took on a train-the-trainer format with students and faculty at the wheel.  Through this successful portfolio initiative, The Stony Brook team has confirmed that it’s vital for the end users to share a leading role in the strategic planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of instructional models and technologies. Again, it truly does take a village to ensure success for all.  My responsibilities as project manager for this initiative were to provide an instructional design and action plan template as a launching point and clear the paths for the team to collaboratively operate.

Our students are no longer customers; they are makers.  They brainstorm in the cloud and learn best in open, collaborative places.  I have collaborated with faculty using a Backward Design approach with flipped classrooms experiences that involve Design Thinking and Case Study models. These learning modules utilize experiential, maker activities in physical and virtual learning spaces. The gamification of instructional content, social media forums, and team concept mapping are used to ignite creative inquiry and innovation.  These engaging, real- world learning modules embrace and promote skills that our students will need to become successful, contributing members of the global workforce.

I also collaborate on multimodal media learning strategies and alternatives, such as digital storytelling, infographics, and blogging, to enhance digital composition and expression.  This involves researching emerging technologies and shifts in paradigms of learning.   I accomplish this by brainstorming with faculty, studying the blogosphere, reviewing education journals, and teaching.  I find seeds of future trends in technology and social media designs by interacting with students.  Listening is one of my strengths, and this is how I’m able to achieve success with the implementation and management of educational technologies with student-centered face-to-face, hybrid, and online classroom designs.  I listen and respect the needs of our campus learning community.

I study, research, and practice intrinsic motivation techniques based on Ryan’s and Deci’s Self-Determination Theory. With badging and gamification strategies, I explore self-determined learning behaviors developed and expressed through flipped design and experiential activities involving cloud technologies. A current  interest and project involves the design and development of Online Plug-in Pods for faculty development opportunities that include teaching portfolios and achievement badges.   The digital Plug-In Pods provide convenient, concise, topic-specific, information modules with videos and resources on course design, instructional content, assessment, and engaging learning experiences with technology.  Faculty and Graduate Assistants can arrange and complete the learning pods for credentialed professional achievement badges (intrinsic, self-determined learning).  The flipped Plug-In Pod topics are later discussed in department meetings, learning community meetings, even informal faculty gatherings.  Also, faculty find the design of the Plug-in Pods perfect for their own flipped, hybrid, and online classrooms.

I encourage you to share links to your portfolio and classroom strategies.  Change the World!