To Readers:

Welcome to my portfolio. This portfolio is created for writing 102; it includes four of my essays: they are two textual analyses, one researched essay and one informal essay. Hope you have a good time reading my essays.

The first essay I wrote is “The Hermit Kingdom”, which is a textual analysis. I use an article from the website of National Geographic, which is titled “Now You See It” by Tim Sullivan. It is about a journalist’s trip in North Korea, and he tried to uncover the true life in North Korea. The process is hard, the truth of real North Korea is limited, but the journalist still had a little gain. I chose this topic because I am quite interested in the culture and life style in North Korea. Recently more information about North Korea appears in the news.

The second textual analysis I wrote is “Is Violence Salvation?” which is the compare and contrast between “A Good Man is Hard to Find” by Flannery O’ Conner and “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. These two short stories are both strange and violent, and the characteristics of the roles in these stories are very strong that the moral value of killers from both stories is warped, because they think violence is salvation. However, Is violence salvation? You will find out the answer while you read this essay.

The third essay I wrote is the research essay, which title is “Why People Consider Laziness as A Negative Motivation?” I am a lazy person, and that is why I chose this topic. Through this essay, I want to tell people that being lazy is not bad, because lazy people can be inventors, lazy people are intelligent and lazy people are healthy, which means negative aspects of laziness could also be transferred to positive motivation.

If you want to know more details about these three essays above and my other experiences of writing 102, please read my “Informal Essay”. In this essay, I arrange my writing, and my own analysis on these three essays and so on.

Thank you so much for reviewing my portfolio. Hope you can see the progress and effort I made in writing 102.

Regards

Ran Ren

108865835