Student Leadership Practices Inventory (SLPI)

The Student Leadership Practices Inventory (SLPI) is an evaluation tool adapted from “The Leadership Challenge” proposed by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner. James and Barry determined that there are five practices of exemplary leadership, which model the way, inspire a shared vision, challenge the process, enable others to act, and encourage the heart. By using the grading system of SLPI, the score of each of the five practices of exemplary leadership was determined. Below is a chart of the scores for each of the five practices of exemplary leadership I received  through the SLPI from Professor Margot Palermo of Stony Brook University (Mentor), two fellow peers Tommy Ho and Riya Ismail, and myself.  

SLPI Chart:

Rithy Huot (Self)

Professor Margot Palermo (Mentor)

Tommy Ho

(Peer)

Riya Ismail

(Peer)

Average

Model the Way

20

23

22

23

22.00

Inspire a Shared Vision

19

22

21

23

21.25

Challenge the Process

19

20

23

20

20.50

Enable Others to Act

22

26

25

27

25.00

Encourage the Heart

19

23

21

22

21.25

James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner defined:

Model the Way:

Refers to the most fundamental way in which leaders earn—and sustain   – credibility: They do what they say they will do. They clarify values and set examples.

Inspire a Shared Vision:

Exemplary leaders are forward-looking. They envision the future and enlist other in that vision of the future.

Challenge the Process:

The work of a leader is to create change. Exemplary leaders should always search for opportunities to make things better, to grow, to innovate, and to improve. They need to experiment and take risks, attempting things that might fail in order to generate small victories and learn from experience.

Enable Others to Act:

Exemplary leaders should generate a strong sense of shared creation and shared responsibility (Foster Collaboration). They should enhance self-determination and to develop competence and confidence in others in order to strengthen them.

Encourage the Heart:

Exemplary leaders should expect the best and personalize recognition. They must recognize contributions and celebrate the values and victories. This involves bringing people together, sharing the lessons from success, and becoming personally involved.

Source: Kouzes, James M. and Posner, Barry Z. “The Leadership Challenge.” Audio-Tech Business Book Summaries. John Wiley & Sons. Inc. 2007.

The following charts provide the information of SLPI results for different groups of individuals.

By Gender

Males (N=378)

Females (N=484)

Model the Way

22.3

23.48

Inspire a Shared Vision

21.18

22.52

Challenge the Process

21.65

22.63

Enable Others to Act

24.54

25.79

Encourage the Heart

22.31

24.44

Peer Educators (N=152)

Model the Way

23.15

Inspire a Shared Vision

23.16

Challenge the Process

22.34

Enable Others to Act

25.76

Encourage the Heart

25.57

Student Body President (N=35)

Model the Way

23.63

Inspire a Shared Vision

24.34

Challenge the Process

23.86

Enable Others to Act

25.43

Encourage the Heart

24.57

Orientation Advisors (N=78)

Model the Way

23.14

Inspire a Shared Vision

24.85

Challenge the Process

23.04

Enable Others to Act

25.94

Encourage the Heart

25.49

Greek Chapter Presidents (N=177)

Model the Way

23.66

Inspire a Shared Vision

24.07

Challenge the Process

23.08

Enable Others to Act

25.58

Encourage the Heart

25.54

Resident Assistants (N= 333)

Model the Way

23.25

Inspire a Shared Vision

20.66

Challenge the Process

21.74

Enable Others to Act

25.20

Encourage the Heart

22.23

High School Students (N=151)

Model the Way

22.01

Inspire a Shared Vision

21.89

Challenge the Process

21.62

Enable Others to Act

24.72

Encourage the Heart

24.18

Source: “Student Leadership Practices Inventory Results.” Leadership 210. Stony Brook University.

Model the Way:

I received an average score of 22.00 on the SLPI evaluation for this practice. This result is similar to the average of males, 22.3 and high school students, 22.01 for the same area of practice. This shows that I can perform in the 73.33 percent range when it comes to earning and sustaining credibility. I clarify values and set examples 73.33 percent of the times.

Inspire a Shared Vision:

I received an average score of 21.25 on the SLPI evaluation for this practice. This result is similar to the average of males, 21.18 and high school students, 21.89. This shows that I can perform in the 70.83 percent range when it comes envisioning the future and enlisting other in that vision of the future.

Challenge the Process:

I received an average score of 20.50 on the SLPI evaluation for this practice. This result comes closest to the average of high school students, 21.62. This shows that I can perform in the 68.33 percent range when searching for opportunities to make things better, to grow, to innovate, and to improve. It also means that I experiment and take risks 68.33 percent of the times. I scored the lowest for this practice compared to the other four practices.

Enable Others to Act:

I received an average score of 25.00 on the SLPI evaluation for this practice. This result is similar to the average of males, peer educators, student body president, orientation advisors, Greek chapter presidents, resident assistants, and high school students. This shows that I generated a strong sense of shared creation and shared responsibility as well as enhanced self-determination in others 83.33 percent of the times. I scored the highest for this practice compared to the other four practices.

Encourage the Heart:

I received an average score 21.25 on the SLPI evaluation for this practice.  This result comes closest to the average of resident assistants, 22.23 and males, 22.31. This shows that 70.83 percent of the times I expect the best and personalize recognition.

My average results from the SLPI evaluation mostly correlated to males’ and high school students’ results. The average results from the SLPI evaluation have shown me that I have room for improvement for all five practices of exemplary leadership. I received the highest score for enabling others to act and lowest score for challenge the process. This means that I need to take a step back from my comfort zone and take more risks despite the probability of failures. Through failures I will learn and grow as a leader and as a person. Challenge the process is not the only area I need to improve. I need improvement in all five practices of exemplary leadership. Until I am able to achieve 100 percent in those areas, I will work towards improvement. I will earn and sustain credibility better, enlist others in my vision of the future, create change by taking more risks, generate a strong sense of shared created and shared responsibility with more people, expect the best from all and personalize recognition better.