StrengthsQuest TM

When I first was hired as a Resident Assistant, all the new hires were required to complete the StrengthsQuest 30-minute online assessment in an honest manner. After the completion of this assessment, the website gave a customized report that lists the top 5 strengths and how to use these strengths for academic, career and personal advancement and achievement. After reading the descriptions of my top 5 strengths, I was amazed at how accurate the results were and now I am confident to say that these are my strengths. Below are my results:

Maximizer

Focus

Discipline

Harmony

Deliberative 

Maximizer

I believe in excellence. I focus more on capitalizing on things I am naturally good at because that is more productive and more demanding rather than trying to be better at things I am not so good at. I enjoy capitalizing on others' strengths so that everyone strives for excellence. I like to be around those who appreciate my own strengths as well. For example, when it comes to my RA staff of 15, we all assign responsibilities based on what we are naturally good at. It is very effective and we have excellent results. 

Focus

I set goals that serve as my compass. I like to prioritize things and filter what needs to be done. This reults in my efficiency. When it comes to group work, my focus makes me a valuable team member because if anyone goes off track, I can bring them back. I keep people on point. For example, when I do group projects, I am usually assigned as the team leader. I stay on top of things and get everyone to stay focused at the task at hand. 

Discipline

I like order. Things need to be planned. I create lists, set up routines, make my own deadlines and timelines, and enjoy precision. I take a long term project and turn it into many short term projects. I like to feel in control of my life. This can also be seen in my hard work. Being involved in many things, having a job on campus, being in the honors program and trying to maintain a social life is very hard. However, I plan everything so that I can do all that I want. 

Harmony

I do not like conflict and friction and like it when everyone can find an area of agreement. I steer people away from confrontation and don't see a point in people trying to force their views onto others. I try to find the harmony by reminding everyone the common goal. For example, I have a lot of roommate conflicts on my floor in the beginning of the year. I always like to sit the roommates down and create the sense of harmony so that they realize that the goal is to be good roommates and respect each other.

Deliberative

In a nutshell, I am a very careful person. When it comes to risks, I assess them and minimize them as much as I possibly can. I never go charging into anything. I weigh my options and make my choices very deliberatively. Even creating this professional ePortfolio was very deliberative. I wanted to maintain the professionalism but also give it a sense of my personality.