This is the final graduate seminar.  The purpose is to write a research paper.  We began by reading examples of other published papers and discussing the strengths and weaknesses.  We were also assigned two books to read.  "Presentation Zen" by Garr Reynolds and "The Craft of Research" by Booth, Colomb and Williams.  I believe that both books were excellent.  As a school librarian who teaches the research process, "The Craft of Research" was very good at laying out the steps to be taken and giving helpful tips.  "Presentation Zen" gave me a new approach to consider when creating powerpoint presentations. I expect that I will continue to use these techniques in my future presentations.

After much exploring and thinking, I came up with a topic that interested me - The Diffusion of Innovations.  My professor suggested a book which became the cornerstone of my paper, "The Diffusion of Innovations" by Everett M. Rogers.

I had decided that in addition to this final seminar, I would also create a related  final project as an independent study.  It turned out that accomplishing both of these in the same semester was quite challenging.  I focused on a particular innovation here at Stony Brook University, ePortfolios, and looked at what I might be able to do that would assist in the diffusion of this instructional technology to faculty members.

I researched diffusion theory, and read numerous studies related to the diffusion of instructional technology to faculty in higher education.  I interviewed Nancy Wozniak of the Faculty Center for more information about how ePortfolios had been diffused on campus and what the plan was for the future.  I researched the use of ePortfolios and its impact on teaching and learning.  I created an informational survey that was sent to 353 faculty members in 12 departments to try to get a better understanding of the current knowledge about and use of ePortfolios.  I discovered that there is a need for more information directed at faculty members that would explain what an ePortfolio is and why they should consider using it.

I decided to create a video that could be located on the Faculty Center website.  This video is directed at faculty members.  It is hoped that the video will encourage more faculty members to try ePortfolios with their students.

I encountered a number of challenges with the paper and project.  First was that I was the only student in the class doing both a paper and a project.  So I found myself on a very different schedule than everyone else.  This meant that I was often working on my own without much guidance.  Luckily, I received some excellent suggestions and editing ideas from a couple of people that were essential to my completion of the paper.  I also found understanding the APA citing and referencing rules to be quite challenging.  Creating my video in iMovie was also a fairly new experience.  Again, I had a friend who helped me clean up the rough edges at the end.

I am very proud of my final paper and video.  My paper was selected to be published in a peer refereed journal.  It was published in the Journal of Educational Technology Systems, volume 42, number 1, 2013-2014.