Each of the links listed below may be found on other pages in this eportfolio.  However, if you are most interested in seeing some of the websites that I have created, I've put them all here on one page.

For EST 568:

The assignment was that we should create a simple three page website on any topic that was of interest to us.  We were given copies of the guides that had been created by the Teaching Learning and Technology Student Helpdesk at Stony Brook University to explain how to upload the websites to the Sparky UNIX server.

The true purpose of the assignment, not shared with us by our professor originally, was for us to get a better understanding of how important clear step-by-step directions are for users, and how difficult they are to create.  I read through and tried to follow directions entitled “How to Access your Web Space on Sparky for Windows Users Using SSH” and “How to Use the SSH Secure File Transfer Client”.   I eventually gave up in frustration, as did most of the other students in my class.  The instructions were poorly written and not clear.

I was finally successful in uploading my website to MySBfiles using directions entitled “Host a Personal Web Site on MYSBfiles”.  Since this experience I have used MySBfiles for my other websites.

My simple website is about my three favorite mystery writers.

http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~skardasz/568web/mystery_writers/index.html

For EST 570:

The assignment was to create a website that would teach something.  It had to include an “Absorb” activity, a “Do” activity, and a “Connect” activity.  The idea was that this might be a smaller part of a larger unit; for example, a lesson.

I decided to do my website on evaluating websites.  This is one small, but important, piece of the overall inquiry process.  I encountered a problem with this website that I have not been able to fix, even though I have discussed it with several other people who have a lot of knowledge about this. 

I created a document that is a checklist for students to print out and use when evaluating websites.  I created it on a mac.  In fact, I created the whole website on a mac using iweb.  Though I saved the document as a pdf file, I was not able to add it to my website as a separate page in that format.  I had to save it as an HTML page.  When my website is visited with Safari, Firefox or Chrome, everything is fine.  But if you visit my website using Internet Explorer, this checklist page in not readable.

If anyone can advise me on how to resolve this problem, I would be very happy to hear it.  Note: the video that I uploaded from YouTube to use on the first page has been changed to "Private" and no longer works.

http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~skardasz/570web/evaluating_websites/introduction.html

For EST 578:

The assignment was to create an instructional website that used multimedia features.  It had to include an animation, an informative graphic, an instructive video, and an assessment.  I decided to design an introduction to the five steps of the inquiry process - - Wonder, Investigate, Synthesize, Express, Reflect. 

While it was not a requirement, we were encouraged to use a free website creating tool called “Blue Gryphon”.   This was because many school districts are trying to save money in whatever way they can, so using free tools is always a good idea.  I felt that Blue Gryphon was not as user-friendly as I expected, and it did not offer all of the “bells and whistles” of other programs that are paid for.  The website that I created has a rather basic look to it because of this.  However, for a free web creating tool, it accomplished the purpose.

Again, I encountered a problem with the final website that I have been unable to correct.  If you visit my website using Internet Explorer or Safari, the video that I created is not supported.  Please use Firefox or Chrome to visit this website.

http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~skardasz/inquiry/index.html

For Summer School program:

During the summer of 2011, I taught a course at my school entitled "Gaming and Learning".  Students were in the library for two hours, five days a week, for 3 weeks.  During the first week, students played and reviewed free online games that I had preselected.  During the second week, students brought in their own hand-held games to play and share with others.  During the third week, students played various Wii games. 

For each game the students were expected to decide what genre the game belonged to, and what learning principle was found in the game.  They also had to say what age group the game was most suited for, and give it stars to rate it.

The students' reviews were posted on a wiki.  Please visit

http://lfvideogamereviews.wikispaces.com

to see the results of the students' reviews.