Below is some of my work as a songwriter and performer.  These songs are from my current work in progress, a musical entitled Tongues Will Wag, which revolves around nightclub performers in the oldest women's bar in the nation.

I went to a songwriters' convention in LA, where I met with some A&R guys with strategically messed-up hair who used "vibe" as a verb.  After I heard "Don't bore us, get to the chorus," for the eleventh time, I wrote this chorus-free song, entitled "TMI."  And I think it's catchy, consarnit.

This song is called "Best Breakup Ever."  Self explanatory. 

Download original file

One of my prouder characters has her heart broken in this song, called "Little Toy Heart."  I especially love the guitar on here, by Gerry Leonard.  He's toured playing guitar for David Bowie, Suzanne Vega, Rufus Wainwright, etc.  His own band is called "Spookyghost," and I think you'll see why.  

Download original file

This song is called "Roland Bluntz," and it's the theme song for a character of the same name.  He's a drag king, or male impersonator.  It's my attempt at triple entendre.

Download original file

I believe it was George Kaufman who explained three act structure in the following way:

1) Put your protagonist up a tree.

2) Throw rocks at him.

3) Get him down again.

This is the song my protagonist sings when she's having rocks thrown at her.  It's called "Lightly Suicidal."

Download original file

This is a wee video from the Writers Speak series of yet another song from my musical. It's called "Cat's Meow."

Writing or creating any kind of art is said to be one of the healthiest ways to deal with negative emotions.  If that's so, this is one of the healthiest songs I've ever written.  All six people at this show in San Diego seemed to like it. 

This song isn't from the musical, but I include it to make the point that you don't have to decide your life's work at age 20.  If you end up doing many differnet things, you'll have a very unique skill set.  (Of course if most of those skills are artistic, you're unlikely to make money with them...)  It's called "Do the Dilettante."