Hello everyone,

I'm the Learning Architect in The Faculty Center located at the back of the Melville Library SINC site.  Please, feel free to call or drop by the center for help.  I'm in my office from 10am to 6:30pm, M-F.  You are part of the Digication test-pilot team and your participation and input is critical to the success of reflective learning through eportfolios at Stony Brook.

ePortfolios are more than websites and electronic file cabinets.  Reflection in our academic, career, and personal environments helps us to take control of learning and incorporating new concepts and adapting to new environment in our lives.  ePortfolios provide an organized, easy tool for reflection and the expansion of our knowledge base.  The scaffolding process is made easy and clear through the use of eportfolios.  Many of you are k-12 teachers and realize how important reflective learning is to our students' academic success.  It's important to you as an educator, also.  Students should start the eportfolio reflection process in kindergarten and should continue well into retirement...lifelong learning.  You are a lifelong learner, as well. 

Documenting reflection can be done through writing, photography, concept mapping, drawing, painting, video, multimedia.  Digital storytelling is an excellent way to get students to reflect on their work.  Please visit this site -
 stonybrook.digication.com...

Collections of artifacts (best work or a progression of work) are posted in the eportoflio.  The electronic tool is just a tool.  Reflection is the key.  The eportfolio does not have to be posted online. It can be stored on a CD.  The e stands for electronic.  Do you see how compiling an electronic portfolio is more convenient and dimensional than a paper portfolio?  It's interactive and allows students to make learning connections easier than flipping through a notebook. For a list of eportofolio tools please visit the Reflections and Connectios site at stonybrook.digication.com .

ePortfolios can be used for various projects.  Mine, stonybrook.digication.com... is a showcase or hybrid eportfolio.  You'll find a bit of me in each tab...my career, hobbies, thoughts, etc.  ePortfolios can be used for career purposes, strictly, with your resume and evidence of your work.  Assessment eportfolios can document students work and improvement through a course and academic program.  Project eportfolios can highlight a program or project and are excellent for obtaining grants. 

The
 KEY is REFLECTION.  A short paragraph or more should accompany every artifact posted in an eportfolio.

Reflection Prompts: 
  • Explain the project...the progression of the work and its purpose
  • What did the progression of the project, problem, work mean to you (and your students) from start to finish?
  • What doors did it open for you?  Did you discover new directions of interests for your life?  
  • What will this project, problem or work mean for you in the future?
  • What risks did you take with your participation in this project or event?   
  • What's next?
Again, it can be a short paragraph.  Others can contribute via the blog feature in your Digication eportfolio.  You can give feedback to your students' eportfolio through a blog feature.  Reflection must become a habit.  When using it with your students, they'll need strict instruction, rubrics and work time until they reach a tipping point and take control over the process and work on their own.  It does happen. 

Whether you are doing a project eportfolio or showcase eportfolio, create a tab with your bio.  If you are doing a project eportfolio, create a tab that explains the project or program and include your bio (you are the leader and expert).  Again, if you need help, contact me.  The images some of you are posting are fabulous.  The more you use images and videos, the more interesting the eportfolio.  Go to stonybrook.digication.com...

to log into your eportfolio and check out the examples of what others are doing with their eportfolios.  At the top right of the screen, you'll find a Help button.  There is a QuickStart guide and a link for support.  Again, do NOT hesitate to call me, also.

As you put together your eportfolio, let me know how easy or not so easy Digication is for you.  Let me know your thoughts about eportfolios and reflective learning, also.

I hope to talk with you soon,

Nancy Wozniak
Learning Architect

The Faculty Center
Stony Brook University 

632-2781
nancy.wozniak@stonybrook.edu