FACULTY

Jonathan Liu - The molecular biophotonics laboratory at Stony Brook develops biomedical optical solutions for diagnostics and therapy.  For example, we are developing techniques to enable point-of-care pathology, a multidisciplinary endeavor that includes the development of advanced microscopic imaging devices, molecularly-targeted contrast agents, innovative strategies for quantifying biomarker expression, and reproducible metrics for defining tumor margins in preclinical animal models, and ultimately in humans.

Kelliann Flores - It seems that with my background, teaching language is a logical progression, but it took me a little while to realize it. When I first came to graduate school, I finished an MA in Psychology, but the emphasis on fitting everything into neat, discreet categories seemed problematic.  Before finishing the research for my MA, I completed a certificate in Women’s Studies. The Department of Hispanic Languages and Literature finally beckoned, and I found a place where I could be myself, still trying to figure out the world in that fluid space between languages, where understanding, play, and knowledge come together.

Jennifer Adams - Jennifer L. Adams is a member of the Teaching, Learning + Techology group at  Stony Brook University.  Having started off as the lead macintosh systems engineer for the group, she now has moved on to a role which empowers her to aid instructors with the use of technology in the classroom.

Nancy Wozniak - Welcome to my showcase ePortfolio.  You'll find a little bit of me on the walls of this exhibit.  Take your time and reflect with me as you walk through the rooms of my eportfolio.  Please leave your comments and reflections in the Feedback area at the bottom right on the pages - Show Comments and Tags.  Again, welcome.

Ying Xiong - I started my experience with assessment years ago when I taught English as a foreign language at North China University of Technology. My students often came to me with questions like "why can't I carry a conversation in English even though I score perfectly on exams," or "How can I know what I need to improve." Those eager-to-learn students need more than just test scores and letter grades to help them understand what they've learned and how they can learn better.

Cynthia Davidson - I'm a faculty member in the Program in Writing in Rhetoric at Stony Brook University.  I'm the Emerging Technologies Coordinator for the program, particularly interested in how technology changes the way that we communicate, persuade, and ignite our imaginative visions--and what we do to change our world by these means. 

Cathleen Rowley - I consider myself successful as a teacher of writing when I see that students question the material they are reading and question what they have written—when they are not satisfied with initial attempts and strive to go deeper.  I believe that the ability to write clearly and to analyze written texts are  the most important skills that a student can develop in college, and that they can carry the lessons learned in my class to their other classes and to their lives beyond the classroom.  Language is power and the ability to use language well gives the students power and choices in their lives.

Mary Meehan - My motto: Is to accomplish as much as you can in a day, life is too short to procrastinate. I treat people the same way I like to be treated with respect, kindness and understanding. I am a very motivated individual, whom after putting my three son through college, and two sons have finished their Bachelor and Master’s degree, they both work in academia. My third son is almost finished with his Bachelor degree, only has a few credits left. I decided to go back to college, and was accepted in SUNY Stony Brook University into their school of Business.

Kelliann Schrage - The lessons I learned that year had a profound impact on my approach to teaching.  Enthusiasm and passion are essential but not sufficient elements in a classroom; students must be able to relate to the material; class discussions need to be set up to encourage all, the outgoing and the shy, the native speaker and the beginner.  Sometimes, our carefully crafted lesson plans need to take a back seat to the students’ lead, and experience helps us make that judgment call. As a foreign language instructor, my role is to provide a safe environment where students feel free to speak up and make mistakes, while providing them with plenty of opportunities to express themselves.