Homework #7: Second Life - My travelogue.  I am interested in visiting other countries, so I visited several that are shown below. 

Virtual Spain - two other people were visiting here. Nice people.

GNC German Newbie Center Deutscher Treff Help Island, Berlin.  I visited Berlin, but recieved the message "No room to sit here." Not sure why. So I walked around.

Caribbean Resort - beach, surf, dance, etc. Visited a Caribbean resort because I love the Caribbean and wanted to see sand and surf.

West of Ireland - Irish Pub, Library, Gallery, Shopping, Fun 

There was a notice requesting donations for War Child which is a child protection agency working with children in conflict and post conflict emergencies. 

Toronto Canada TRP360 3D Works, Sialimonu Information Bureau.  I used to travel to Toronto on business, so I wanted to see what they had on this site and went to the visitors bureau.

Russian Red Square - Moscow Island - met a bunch of people there.  Seemed friendly, but... I don't speak the language. A lot of people hanging out on the square.

Second Life as a potential educational tool.

I went to http://edudirectory.secondlife.com/ and reviewed the participating institutions.  From this directory, I first selected ALA, The American Library Association, however, I could not see anything.  I would think that it would be interesting if 2nd Life had exhibits from libraries collections from all over the world to visit. A good educational lesson could be to experience manuscripts or historical documents such as books, diaries, original writings - visually & virtually.

For my next stop, I wanted to go to ARTFest II, but could not transport there. I received a message that the available dates were 11/19-12/19.  I tried to go back on the 19th, but did not get in.  I think arts and craft sites or virtual museums would be good locations for students to view creations and participate in discussions and/or critiques.  Additionally, places like the Smithsonian would be a great educational discovery tool for history classes as well as for the general public to view historical artifacts. 

I enjoy art, so I went to the The Aho Museum, NMC Campus West and viewed art work of high school students that were on display.  I really enjoyed this visit and their art work.  The site displayed the students artwork on boards using a slide show that navigated to the next student's work. I think that was very creative and fun to flip through. 

Other great uses for 2nd Life would involve treasure hunt type activities, history lessons or historical reinactments, interpersonal communications lessons, and for technology classes such as game design and development.  Having visited varying countries and "met" people, this tool could be used for foreign language courses as well as sociology and culture related courses.

2nd Life could help students in working together on a lesson; fostering collaboration.  Having the learning environment available 24x7 is a plus and 2nd Life could be used for distance learners who are geographically distant.

That said, I went to visit the University of Delaware to view their content and walked around the campus. The site had a billboard of their National Agenda 2011.  Campus maps and information centers on 2nd Life would also benefit students.

Faculty could use this environment as a collaborative workspace in creation of sites or lessons. I can see where shared resources would be an advantage using this tool. This might also be an interesting way to conduct faculty development workshops and to organize faculty resource networks.