Web page design - Home page

The following URL is for the home page of my e-learning activity for EST 570. The learning module is for a BUS 409 class in Strategic Management.  The actual activities include:  defining a  SWOT Analysis, how to locate and analyze a SWOT and testing the students knowledge gained from using this e-learning module.  URL: http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/tzahor/

I started to develop this activity in iWeb, however, logistically this turned out to be a problem since the iWeb files that I created using the software at another building at my school could not open for editing at the SB lab and I find I need a lot of accessibility for development and editing. 

I have Dreamweaver on the PC in my office, so, I created my e-learning module using Dreamweaver.  With respect to design, I chose a full screen layout because I wanted to use three columns and have room on the screen. The left column contains the navigation links for this e-learning tool.  The content directions and text are placed in the middle of the screen, and videos or instruction materials are on the right.  

Update: I changed the layout based on feedback from the review session. After cutting a lot of text, I redesigned to a simpler & lighter layout.  The updated page is viewable on the URL above.

The logo appears in the upper left corner and will be repeated on every page. It is an icon for strategic management with a label for SWOT analyses.  Originally, I looked at iconic images of 23 Wall Street, the NYSE, and others, but switched to a strategic management icon because the focus of this e-learning tool was SWOT analyses and strategic management, not trading.   

Update: based on feedback from the review session of 10/17, I changed the logo from Strat. Manangement to a SWOT icon.  The new icon will be a graphic of the SWOT elements indicating Internal influence vs. External.

I put the table of contents for this unit on the left in a vertical menu.  The TOC has links that will navigate learners to the activities of the module.  I am not sure yet if the menu will be repeated on subsequent pages. 

Based on feedback from the review session, I have repeated the TOC on each subsequent page.

The introduction to the unit is in the center of the home page which provides information about using this e-learning tool.  The page title is "BUS 409 Strategic Management", since the learning activity is part of this course.  The sub title under that is "Introduction to SWOT Analysis".

Update: changed the title to Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats - SWOT.  Removed the BUS 409 title. Simplified the introduction & instructions.

The video to the right on the home page is an embedded video that I located on Youtube.  It is a video on managing in a global economy that I find very appropriate for the strategic management course.

Update: Although I really liked it, I removed the Strategic management video and replaced it with a video focusing on How to implement a SWOT process. 

The footer lists the Farmingdale State College School of Business and the Greenley Library Information Literacy department which is where I work.  The link for "Contact Us" will probably be changed from an email client to the Information Literacy department.

All subsequent pages are under development.

Note: The files are stored on the Stonybrook student site: www.ic.sunysb.edu, where I was able to place them.  The directory on the sb sever is:  /usr/www/Stu/tzahor/.  It has been the only location that I have been able to store and see my files, so far.

I installed Cyperduck locally on my home PC and tried to load my files to MYSBFILES, but could not connect.  I also tried this from work, but was unable to connect from there as well.   I will try to connect from the Stonybrook lab on Monday to see if I can move the files to the MYSBFILES location.