ABOUT ME

Bienvenidos! My name is Valentino Olivier Baldeo. I am a Guyanese-American, born on March 20, 1992. I was born in Jamaica Hospital, Queens, and resided in Queens until the end of sixth grade, and I moved to Mineola. I know live in Garden City. I have a beautiful family: Dr. and Mrs. Rudolph Laurence Baldeo, Valerie Baldeo (age 12), and Vincent Baldeo (age 11). I also have a girlfriend with whom I’ve been in a relationship for over three years! I attend SBU as a Biology/Pre-Med student. As a young lad I’ve always loved helping people, and I’ve always wanted to become a doctor, even before my father became one. I took Latin in high school and fell in love with the language, so I also minor in Classical Civilizations. I am the President of Phi Chi Epsilon Fraternity, Incorporated, I work as a consultant for the Teaching, Learning, + Technology SINC Sites on campus, and I’m also part of the Administrative Hearing Board. I enjoy all types of music (mostly rap), I love watching comedy and making people feel good. I hope to be able to practice medicine as an MD in the future. Thank you for reading; adios! 

MY OPINION ON TECHNOLOGY

I have had the extreme fortune of being born in the 1990s, and thus experiencing the vast technological advancements that we have today. I am also fortunate in that not only was I born during the age of technological improvements; I was born in a society affluent enough to contain all the technological wonders. As I grew and developed, so did the Internet, cellular phones, medicine, and media. There are a very many areas in the world today (including Guyana where my parents grew up, and even some places in the United States) that are not half as fortunate as I am. For this reason I am grateful for everything I have, and I will admit that I sometimes take technology for granted. I have been wrong in feeling entitled to having the best devices; to be given even the option of having a computer is remarkable. I believe that we as a society are dependent on technology for transportation, security, media, etc. While on one hand these outlets are very accessible, I also feel that having all of this technology around us spoils us. I think that we are so dependent upon technology that we’d go ballistic if it were no more (try taking a teen’s cell phone or gaming console away, and watching him/her transform into Gollum right before your eyes). Shoot, during the last hurricane people had no electricity: no lights, refrigeration, news outlet, heat, and more. So it makes me scared to think about what would happen if society as a whole lost technology (kind of like a Y2K kind of thing). And yet, I too feel that we have a duty to further our knowledge in various technological fields so that we can someday help everyone in the world and truly live at peace.